Thursday, July 14, 2011

GF (or not) Strawberry Shortcake

GF date night was a major success. Good thing, too, because I saw Jeff for a total of 4 minutes yesterday, and I'm pretty sure 2 of those, he was already sleeping. Our meal was scrumptious and the strawberry shortcake was a welcome dessert on the 90+ degree evening we decided to eat outside.


On to dessert! I am not sure how I ever lived this long without trying this recipe. I have seen it on the back of the Bisquick box FOREVER and I always just went on my way, enjoying pancakes. Well, when my friend Jodi from Littlest Learners & The Clutter-free Classroom posted her one & only recipe, I was in. Jodi posts about all things teaching related so if she was posting a recipe, it had to be good. And it was. She pointed out that she made a mistake with the amount of sugar that she used and turned out with a delicious shortcake, so I decided to repeat and make the same mistake.
So. stinkin. good.

You can get the recipe on the back of the Bisquick box and depending on which kind you get will give you either the original or gluten-free recipe. I kind of blended the two recipes because that's how I roll in my GF kitchen. I'm also going to post mine with the mixed up amounts of sugar because it was way good. If you're not into that, flip the sugars back or follow what's on the box.


Gluten-Free Strawberry Shortcake (6 servings)

Adapted from the back of the Gluten-Free Bisquick box

Ingredients:

4 cups strawberries (1 qt), sliced
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp. sugar
2 1/3 cups Bisquick Gluten Free mix (whole box - these are small!)
3 tbsp. butter, melted
3/4 cup milk
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp. vanilla
whipped cream

1. Mix strawberries and 3 tbsp. sugar, set aside.
Sidenote: I used less strawberries because it was just the two of us, so the 3 tbsp. was perfect and made the strawberries SO juicy and delicious.

2. Heat oven to 425* and grease a cookie sheet.

3. Combine Bisquick mix, 1/2 cup of sugar, melted butter, milk, eggs, and vanilla in a stand mixer or by hand, until dough is sticky but not too firm.

4. Drop by 6 spoonfuls on the cookie sheet.

5. Bake 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes on cooling rack.

6. Split the shortcakes with a knife and fill with whipped cream and strawberries. Top with whipped cream and strawberries for extra deliciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment