Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Memorial Day weekend

There is almost nothing that I love more than a long weekend. I think every weekend should be three days. But then I'd probably wish that every weekend was four days. Hmmph.

This weekend started out a little rough, when Rocky gave us a bit of a scare. We woke up on Friday morning around 2:30am to the most awful sound coming from Rocky's bed. Poor baby was crouched in his crate, in a horrible coughing fit, giving me the saddest eyes ever. Then he started throwing up. We took him out of his crate where he proceeded to jump in our bed, throw up, jump on the rug, throw up, run into the hall, throw up, run down the stairs, throw up. You get the point I'm sure.  We finally got everything cleaned up and put him back to bed and the cycle continued until we were up for the day at 4:30. Literally every time he inhaled, he choked out an exhale. It was heartbreaking to listen to and I didn't know what to do. I called the emergency vet and she started asking questions that made me nervous and of course, Google didn't help, either. I called out of work to take Rocky to the vet and because I couldn't leave him like that when he couldn't breathe. I quickly put together sub plans, grabbed Rock's medical records, towels for the car, and my bag and headed out the door. It wasn't until I tried to open the back door that I realized that I never grabbed my car keys. I was a hot pregnant mess on the front porch with my dog hacking up a lung while I waited for Jeff to come home and rescue us. It wasn't pretty. By the time we made it to the vet we got the news that Rocky has bronchitis, a type of kennel cough. For whatever reason, I didn't think kennel cough because he hasn't been to daycare in a couple of weeks and I have no clue how he could contract something like that. I mean, he does like to make out with one of the dogs in the neighborhood... I don't know how people do this with their dogs. Kennel cough is pretty common but Rocky could not take a breath without going into a coughing fit.


poor baby boo

I spent the rest of the day nursing my sweet baby back to health. This included Robitussin DM, Benadryl, taking him for muggy, rainy walks, and sitting with him in the steamy bathroom. I know that Jeff is going to be the best dad for so many reasons, but I really fell in love with him all over again when I walked into the bathroom to find him holding Rocky like a baby with the shower as hot as it would go, because he told me that the steam was rising and that Rocky couldn't get it from the floor like he could from his arms. Seriously? Be still my heart.

Saturday we got a bunch of stuff done around the house since it was a rainy day and Jeff's game was cancelled. Rocky was still coughing pretty bad but he was starting to improve. Saturday night we settled in for the Bruins game with nachos, wings, and homemade cherry limeade. I'm addicted. Oh, and the Bruins won. :)



I must have worn myself out on Saturday because I was a total lazy bones on Sunday. When Jeff left for his baseball game on Sunday afternoon, Rocky and I literally didn't move off the couch until he got home. Glorious.


typical

Monday we had a BFF BBQ. The weather was perfect, Rocky was feeling better, and Jeff got lobsters! Love me some lobstah! It's been a while since we hung out with Donna & James, so we loved that we got to spend all day with them. Here's a bit of our day in pictures.


The boys' idea of setting up

I'm not sure why he insists on making this face whenever I ask to take a pic.
Still love him the best, though.


Mangia! Mangia!

BFF's on their second wedding anniversary!

love

This boy is never far from food or his tennis ball

Peanut Butter Pie for dessert. The picture doesn't do it justice.
*recipe to come*

The boys


This weekend was a perfect mix of family, being productive, being lazy, and friends. I could go for another :)



Sami's Shenanigans


7 comments:

  1. Aw poor Rocky! Hope your baby feels better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this post! We loved getting to spend some quality time with you, Jeff, and Rocky.
    <3 you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Rocky! That first picture of him breaks my heart! So glad he is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow sounds like a fun night Rocky had at the beginning of the weekend. I am glad he is feeling better. He is so cute. That peanut butter pie looks to die for. OMG! I am new here, glad to find your blog! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor puppy! :( Glad he's feeling better!

    I'm jealous that you had sunshine and got to sit outside! That definitely didn't happen for us. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. aww glad your pup is feeling better... and seriously melt my heart when your husband was holding him to get the steam. so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWWW poor Rocky! Glad he's ok though, I hate when they're sick and you can't figure it out. So scary. And I'm going to need that PB pie immediately k thanks.

    ReplyDelete